Fasting Gets the Stain Out...
I'm going to be honest. There are some things that you are just going to have to "fast out"! It's like trying to get a stain out, the only way to get the stain out is that you soak it out, and/or use special stain removers (bleach, tide stain remover etc). For us spiritually, that's a fast. I will be honest I didn't understand the power of the fast, I thought it just seemed "holy", but the point of the fast, is like that of the stain remover, to break down and remove the stain (sin, strongholds etc).
Isaiah 58: 6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
God, knew that we would need something stronger to get the "stain" out. So he instructed us on fasting. The fast is the ultimate stain remover, it helps break down those things in our lives that have seemed to take permanent residence, like a permanent stain. I remember one time I thought I had a permanent stain on a white blouse, I put in my washing machine, by itself and added a little bleach and stain remover and the stain came out, I was amazed. Fasting, puts in a place of being by ourselves so that the Holy Spirit can do the rest, and get the "stain out".
Below are the scriptures I use for fasting, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you through the process and take what you need by faith. Fasting, get's the stain out!
Fasting restrains our physical pleasure, but it enhances our spiritual pleasure. Our greatest pleasure comes by feasting on the person of Jesus.
Fasting reduces the influence of our self-will and invites the Holy Spirit to do more intense work in us.
Christian fasting, at its root, is the hunger of a homesickness for God.”
1. 2 Samuel 12:16 David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and spent the nights lying in sackcloth on the ground.
2. 1 Samuel 7:6 When they had assembled at Mizpah, they drew water and poured it out before the LORD. On that day they fasted and there they confessed, “We have sinned against the LORD.” Now Samuel was serving as leader of Israel at Mizpah.
3. Acts 14:23 Paul and Barnabas also appointed elders in every church. With prayer and fasting, they turned the elders over to the care of the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.
4. Luke 2:37 Then she lived as a widow to the age of eighty-four. She never left the Temple but stayed there day and night, worshiping God with fasting and prayer.
5. Matthew 17:20-21 And He said to them, “Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you. “But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.”
6. 2 Samuel 1:12 They mourned and wept and fasted all day for Saul and his son Jonathan, and for the LORD’s army and the nation of Israel, because they had died by the sword that day.
Check out today's Coffee and Conversations: Executive Order: Play the Position